ThinkExist.com's Quote of the Day

ThinkExist Dynamic daily quotation

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Reading Notes for Unit 7

Most of what we read this week was review for me. I understand the concepts surroundings IP addresses and DNS servers. However, I was interested to learn that the IP address for my personal computer at home changes. I thought it was static as well as other computers. Having read about it, it makes sense that the DNS assigns an IP address directly to the modem which is handling the request at the moment, freeing up addresses for those in use. Also, I found it interesting to learn how TCP/IP works. I was familiar with the term, but learned from the video how it actually works. That would explain why many websites are offering streaming videos, so the user is not waiting for the entire file to be downloaded.

In the article, Dismantling Integrated Library Systems, Andrew Page does not seem to support one solution over another. From all the arguments presented, the one option that stands out from the rest is "redefining the ILS as an applications platform". Libraries have so many more options today so they cannot be complacent. They need to spend more to obtain the long-term value of the product purchased. What I also found interesting was the innovation used by librarians themselves, such as Mark Ludwig. I don't believe there is a one-size-fits-all magic potion for all libraries. Each individual institution or network of libraries must determine the best solution for their systems. Funding varies so that clearly influences their decision as well. If librarians are not swooned by the glam of trade shows and product demos and seek advice from one another, solutions will present themselves. Isn't that what librarians represent? A way to share information, so why not amongst themselves as well?

The Google video was interesting as well. I knew Page and Brin had a good working environment for their employees, but I enjoyed hearing about the 20% clause. I found an interesting article about their advertising, which was at the heart of their presentation. Specifically, that their searches are free due to advertising dollars. The article I referenced tell us about a deal in the works between Yahoo! and Google. Very interestingly, both parties feel it will not create a monopoly on ad searches. Naturally, Microsoft is not happy about it!
http://legalpad.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/10/10/google-and-yahoo-fight-with-the-feds/

No comments: