ThinkExist.com's Quote of the Day

ThinkExist Dynamic daily quotation

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Week 11 Reading Notes & Muddiest Point

Web Search and OAI Patrol

This week’s readings were really interesting. I have to admit that I had no prior knowledge of the “Deep Web”. What I found interesting to learn was the difference in number of documents and sites on the Deep Web versus the WWW and that 95% are publicly accessible. In my LIS2000 class, we read much on the interconnected nature of information and people through networks. The dependency on linkages is fascinating. To think that some web pages will not experience hits due to their lack of links to other pages. This identifies the amount of control the conventional search engines have over the pages we visit, since they are handed to us in the form of a “one-click”. I wonder how much more we would find if we did not have that to rely on?

No comments: